Do you celebrate Valentine’s Day or does it just feel like another Hallmark holiday? This year, you can use Valentine’s Day as a simple way to remind your kids of your love for them. And it doesn’t have to be extravagant! Here are 5 simple ways to maximize your chance for connecting with them this Valentine’s Day:
- Grab the construction paper, a pair of scissors, and a marker. Cut out hearts and on each heart write one thing you love about your child. Examples: I love your generous heart. I love your smile. I love your creativity. Tape these hearts to their door so that when they wake up they see them!
- Drop a special note in their lunchbox.
- Make dinner feel extra special by lighting a candle, having a special dessert (and eating it before dinner), or making it a picnic on the living room floor. When we do something to make the ordinary set apart from our normal, everyday routine, it creates special memories.
- Instead of watching tv or everyone scattering to their own devices, come together for a family game night after dinner. Let your child pick the game!
- Share special stories or memories. Tell your child some special memories you have of them. Consider a memory from when they were a baby, a time you felt especially proud, or a happy silly memory. These times help our kids know that we cherish our memories with them.
Let’s use this Valentine’s Day as an opportunity to show up and remind our kids that they mean the world to us! You’ve got this!